Ketogenic Diet for Epilepsy
This program emphasis on reducing the number of seizures & enhancing the quality of life.
The Ketogenic diet is a dietary treatment option for children or adults with epilepsy whose seizures are not controlled with anti-seizure medications (ASMs). The diet may help to reduce the number or severity of seizures & have other positive effects.
Ketogenic diet is not very well known in Asia & there are a very few trained & Ketogenic diet expert specialist in India.
Dt. Saima have 4+ years of extensive experience in working with the pioneer of Ketogenic diet in Asia, Dr. Janak Nathan. During her tenure of working with him she learned about the science behind how Ketogenic diet aids in treating uncontrolled epilepsy & expertise in planning Ketogenic diet for epilepsy.
How do we go about starting the diet therapy
There will be 3 sessions with the dietitian in the beginning of the program
- Assessing which type of Ketogenic diet will be beneficial
- Briefing about the diet & what to expect
- Explaining about the blood reports to be done
- Noting anthropometric details & current eating habits
- Explaining the first part of the diet using a power point presentation for better understanding
- Teaching parents/caregivers a few important things like:
- How to use measuring cups & spoons.
- How to use a kitchen weighing scale.
- How to check urine ketones & blood ketones
- How to maintain a seizure chart
- Giving a detailed customized meal plan.
- Teaching about the minimal side effects like constipation & how to tackle those situations
- Consultation with Dietitian Saima
- Personalized meal plans/ Calculated healthy recipes
- Continuous assessment and guidance includes regular follow-ups
- Monitoring of your or your child’s growth (height and weight), required blood parameters, daily seizure count will be monitored.
- You will be given a diary to record the number and type of seizures you or your child has while on the diet.
- Regular monitoring of blood glucose/ ketones/ Urine ketone level
- WhatsApp /call support
- Travel guide/ restaurant guide/ festival guide
Duration of the diet & post tapering services
- It usually takes at least three months to see whether the diet is effective.
- The length of time the diet is followed may vary, but if an individual remains seizure-free, has fewer seizures, or maintains other benefits, such as improved quality of life, then we may consider gradually coming off the diet.
- A dietary plan will be shared which can be followed post tapering off the Ketogenic diet.
- If the diet is followed carefully, individuals do not put on weight, or lose weight inappropriately.
- As food can affect how we feel or act, you may be asked to note any changes in your or your child’s mood, alertness and overall behavior’s.
- The diet is a specialized treatment for epilepsy & must only be carried out with the care, supervision & guidance of an experienced epilepsy specialist Dietitian.